From Rags to Apps: The third Shenkar International Toy Design Conference
18/5/17 10:00 - 18:00 Auditorium 2000 // 8 Yeda-Am St., Ramat-Gan
The Industrial Design Department at Shenkar will host the 3rd international design symposium, focused on Toy Design, titled From Rags to Apps. The Event will take place on Thursday May 18, 2017 at Shenkar - Art. Design. Engineering.
Toys are objects that reflect reality, culture and tradition: They also serve as a means to convey the values we choose believe in to our children; They allow us to tell stories, share experiences and convey emotions; They allow us to navigate and influence childhood experiences; Creating or selecting a particular toy constitutes an opportunity to instill aesthetic, conceptual and functional values by means of playing with objects without words.
- Sorry: Registration closedת Entry, subject to availability!
he previous Toy-Design conferences, that took place in 2011 and 2014, focused on the stories of Toy Creators, Toy Designers and toy-oriented companies. The 3rd 'From Rags to Apps' Conference aims to highlight the conceptual roots, visions as well as the design and development processes, that lead to the creation of new toys.
Some of the questions that will be addressed and debated during the one-day symposium:
- A look back through history: How cultural and ideological diversity found expression in toy design?
- What is the alchemic process that leads to the creation of new toy concepts?
- How are the required skills of the 21st Century addressed in the design of contemporary educational toys?
- In the eco-systems of global trade, dominated by branding and commercial entertainment, is there a place for meaningful design ideas?
- How should Toy Design evolve in a world increasingly inundated by technology and information?
|08:30||Reception, Registration and the Toy Design Exhibition Opening|
|09:30||Mr. Peter Handstein, founder and CEO of HaPe International Inc, Ningbo, China|
|10:00||Ms. Renate Menzi, Curator of the Design Collection at Museum für Gestaltung Schaudepot Zürich, Switzerland|
|10:30||Mr. Gil Drukman, Inventor and Managing Director at Toyly, Tel-Aviv, Israel|
|11:30||Prof. Gabriel Songel, Universitat Politècnica de València and founder of spinoff Innoarea Design Consulting, Valencia, Spain|
|12:00||Ms. Ilana Ben-Ari, Founder, CEO & Lead Designer Twenty One Toys, Toronto, Canada|
|13:45||Mr. Henrik Johansson, Former Toy Designer at Ikea Sweden and the Design Director at HaPe International Inc. Ningbo, China|
|14:15||Mr. Mark Carson, President & Co-Founder, Fat Brain Toys, Nebraska, USA|
|14:45||Ms.Taren Chan, 4M Industrial Development Limited, Hong Kong.|
|15:15||Mr. Andres Garza, Design Manager at Spinmaster Toys, California, USA|